Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Higher Education Blows

Let’s add up the tab of my pursuit of “higher education,” shall we?

Tuition:
Paid for by loans, has got me well over halfway to six figures in debt. In return, I get a degree that qualifies me to, well, do this – blog. Or I could work at a coffee shop and snobbily reference incestuous academic journals while I pour foam onto lattes for people in suits. Awesomeness.

Lost wages:
I didn’t have the greatest job in the world when I moved out of New York City and re-entered academia. But it wasn’t the worst, either. I got to do a lot of really cool things (in return, of course, for selling my mortal soul). The thing was, my soul then was apparently worth more than it is now – perhaps because it was less used? Looking at my friends who were on the roughly the same level I was and where they are now (rolling on piles of money, surrounded by many naked admirers while sipping champagne in high-rise apartments), I wonder at times, if that could have been me. Not the nude guy in the corner. The one with all the cash.

Direction:
I had started a career path that people have killed for. Literally. I saw someone get stabbed at a NBC Page interview. It wasn’t pretty. Then again, the girl that did it was, so she got the job. Now, I’m coming out of 2 1/2 years of sales experience in what might be a dying industry. But I could tell you the corresponding cities for over 300 airport codes, so I’m a wicked good trivia partner.

Hip status:
If you tell people you live in NYC, you’re cool. If you tell people you’re squatting in an office building that’s 15 feet from train tracks, you’re not. Rent savings mean nothing.

Nerd potential:
Back when I had a “real job,” I didn’t have any time for web 2.0. I was on Facebook, but never checked it. MySpace was a thing of the future. There was no blogging, there was no Twittering, there was no Google Reader and there was no (gasp) iPhone. Now, well, I have all of those (minus the MySpace as you no doubt recall from my Super Tuesday post.). Wow. I should just start playing Dungeons and Dragons and get it over with. Who’s up for a game in Second Life? I’ll bring my virtual, 28-sided die.

Ugh. I don’t know why I’m whining. Sorry to vent this all on you. I think the reassessment of my life began today when I dropped by my grad school’s bookstore and found out that it’s going to cost me $60 to buy a friggin’ black robe for graduation. I already HAVE a black robe from my first time getting a diploma.

But NO – this is different. A Master’s robe has funny sleeves that look like something Gandalf would wear. That’s why you have to give up your May grocery money, Mike. Wizard sleeves! We in higher education feel you haven’t paid quite enough yet for another piece of paper with your name on it. Go visit another ATM and shell out some more, okay?

Oh, and we’re not framing your diploma, either. That costs extra.

(I’m wearing my old robe anyway.)

5 comments:

Amy Zeleznock said...

Way to buck the trend and go with the undergrad robe!!! I would probably do the same thing you did...and don't worry about your future. You'll do absolutely great..I mean you can't have any worse experiences than the GMA incident ;).

Hell..look at me. I'm at a job I kinda like, just got a tiny raise, my loan bills have decreased (a TINY bit) and I'm still scrounging for money and have to sit at home many nights rather than experiencing LA and becoming a pro.

Don't worry! You'll kick ass in the real world 2.0!

Liz Williams said...

Wicked awesome trivia partners, indeed!

Hahaha you sold your mortal soul. Most of your other readers would assume that's a huge exaggeration. Who would ever think a travel agency could destroy a person's soul?? It seems unlikely. Until you work there.

PS, has your soul grown back at all now that you're out? (in other words, will i ever see mine again?)

Unknown said...

You have to come home to get the robe! Ha! Ha! -Mom

Mike said...

Amy - I'm rethinking the robe idea. I don't know, but Emerson might break me down in the end.

Liz - It does seem super-unlikely, and yet, it becomes a job. *sigh* I think all jobs do that. Yes, I do believe my soul has grown back over the past four months. Here's the problem though, it has grown and my checking account has shrunk. They're correlated.

Mom - thanks for commenting on a blog where I'm lamenting my loss of coolness. Having your mother offer you kudos online does wonders for your social status :-)

Liz Williams said...

I don't know. To me it seemed more like your mom was laughing at you, rather than offering kudos. ;)