Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Going to China with a banjo on my knee...

Okay, so with less than four months to go before the Olympic flame is lit in Beijing (assuming protesters aren't able to steal/extinguish/smother/light bowls from it) it's time to start talking China.

Notice I say China and not Chinese. My Mandarin is woeful at this point, but I have learned how to ask for food, the toilet and tell a taxi driver he's an idiot, so I've got that going for me.

The big news is... well, I'm going.

I know I posted about this before, but there actually was no final confirmation from BOCOG until a couple weeks ago. However, we've received the go-ahead and their processing our visas now.

(Excuse me while I do a huge fist-pump and rip off my shirt, FIFA-style.)

This blog's going to China! Fo' realsies.

Along with receiving my "yes-you're-coming-and-we-realize-we've-told-you-that-before" final invitation, I also now know where I'm going to be stationed...

*drum roll*

The National Stadium - more commonly known as The Birds' Nest (See above: It looks like a nest).

In addition hosting all of the track & field events, the Nest also will be the home of the Opening and Closing ceremonies. I've received some communication that seems to indicate that possibly I could be invited to potentially watch one or both of those events (ie: believe it when it happens). While, I'm not getting excited about being able to streak across the field wearing naught but an American flag when the U.S. team marches in, it could happen. And that rocks.

My role as a member of the Olympic News Service will be at the bottom rung of the ladder - Flash Quotes Reporter. It'll be my job to interview the athletes after their events, grab a few sound bites, write them down and send them to the central office. Not a glamorous job by any means, but I really could care less about that. I'll get to be practically on the sidelines at the Games, that's what counts.

It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Now that I know it's happening for real, I don't know what to think really. Guess it's time for another fist pump...

*FIST PUMP*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should post a real picture of your fist pump

Amy Zeleznock said...

Um not a cool job? Do you realize YOU will be talking to every OLYMPIAN?! (or his translator) THAT is freaking awesome..this coming from a girl who saw every Figure Skating event and short track event and who hung out with Scott Hamilton (and my love Evan Lysacek) and played football with 1/2 of the Candian gold medalists from 2000.

I want pictures and lots of them. (a gift or postcard would be nice too)I'm envious...if you meet a girl named Lizzie (who went to GW) tell her you know Amy from Ithaca. I interned with her in Torino.

Mike said...

Brian - I'm not great at self-portraits.

Amy - I guess when you put it that way, it does sound pretty cool :-) Scott Hamilton, btw, was my commencement speaker - and a surprisingly good one at that.

Does Lizzie work for the ONS or NBC?