Saturday, April 12, 2008

Googlegängers (your umlauted word of the day)

I've been meaning to write about this for a while, but this article in last Thursday's Times spurred me to do it.

We've all Google-stalked someone. Don't deny it. You've plugged the name of a friend (or enemy) into a search engine, hit enter and clicked through the first few pages of search returns. It's kind of fun, kind of creepy and a common occurrence in today's wired world.

Have you ever plugged your own name in to see what turns up? If so, you've undoubtedly stumbled upon one or more of your Googlegängers - people with the same name that pop up in a search engine query.

The Times article was about the psychological reasons behind why we feel drawn to folks of our same name. There are Facebook groups out there for people with like names and more than one author has written a book or article about setting out to find others with identical monikers. It's more than a passing fascination with some.

For me, however, it provides more annoyance than camaraderie. Why? Because of my massive ego, of course.

Ha, no I'm kidding. Well sort of... Let's talk about my Googlegängers.

I am proud to at least be featured twice on the front page of Google when you search for "Mike Nagel." One is for my Facebook page and the other is for this blog, which is exciting, since I've only been running this page for nine months or so. I don't think it's too bad, overall: I'm at positions 7 and 8, respectively.

Here's the thing... it doesn't really seem like anyone relevant is above me. The top overall hit is a press release announcing Michael P. Nagel as VP of Sales and Marketing for some company called Incisive Surgery, Inc. Then, in 2nd place, there's another presser for a different Mike Nagel.

Finally, on the third hit, we get a Mike Nagel of some importance. Here's his Flickr site. He's a amateur photographer from Munich, Germany and seems like a nice guy. His shots are pretty cool, too. I guess I'm not too upset about falling behind him. Especially since he's had his page up since '05.

The other miscellaneous entries are for some randoms with ZoomInfo and LinkedIn entries that aren't updated. Bollocks! I should be further up, Google!

I know the main way to increase your Google page rank is to be linked to from a bunch of other sites, so thanks to everyone who's linking to me, I appreciate it. Eventually, I'll be the world's greatest Mike Nagel, at least in the eyes of the almighty Google.

However, here's the most annoying thing about having Googlegängers - registering domain names. I'm looking to start my own website, either tying this blog to it or just setting it up as a professional-looking site that I can use to help further my career. However, both mikenagel.com and michaelnagel.com are taken.

mikenagel.com is occupied by someone who bought the domain name, linked it to a blog and then just left it. How obnoxious! I'd actually use it... If you read this, other Mike Nagel, I want that site.

michaelnagel.com
is just disturbing. It's the homepage for a German actor who looks like he's trying to break into Hollywood. Judging by his physique and D-list level of international appearances, he appears destined to occupy a recurring role on a low-level network soap, at best. If that's my alternate online personality, I'm a little frightened.

Oh well, guess I'll have to either change my name or think up a more creative domain name once I start setting up my site. Any suggestions?

How about you guys? Anything fun come up when you google yourself?

6 comments:

Liz Williams said...

At least you come up in google. I have about 40,000 Googlegängers. I hate my name. I am so excited that it is even possible to find me in there now, but you have to google me and something i've written about. If you google "Liz Williams" and "Maine Turnpike," or "ants on a log" there I am! But just Liz Williams? I haven't managed to find myself in that mess yet.

I didn't know it was about how many pages link to my page. I had considered writing a blog post with my name repeated in it 300 times to see if that improved my google status. I guess I won't bother now.

You should have your website be something like www.murderfacenagel.com. I bet that's not taken yet.

Matthew A Kaberline said...

Mr. Nagel, it's been a while (too long, in fact) and your post on my poetry blog the other day was a pleasant surprise. I clicked my way onto your blog and this googleganger piece caught my attention. I thought I might reciprocate with a comment here.

I, too, have succumbed to self infatuation/research and googled myself. My grandfather's family created a new last name in Topeka, Kansas when there was a massive flood and all records were wiped in early 19-aught-something. It came as no surprise that my googlegangers, and long lost relatives, are still comfortably residing in middle America.

I enjoyed checking out your blog and I'm sure I'll be back again soon. Hope all is well.

Megann said...

Megann Sept has no googlegangers. it's pure bliss: type in my name and all you get is stuff about me (well, and people named Megann about stuff that happened to them in September).

I used to google myself and get the results for this 10K I ran back in 1999. It made me feel athletic. My google list now is horribly academic.

Mike said...

Matt - it has been too long. Glad to see you, if it's only via the blogosphere, but we really should catch up soon.

Meghann - I'm going to check out your google list. I'm just happy that one of my unfortunate run-ins with the law is now not on the front page. Happy hunting for that one!

Anonymous said...

Meredith MacVittie only comes up with me, but the stuff on it is really pitiful: Ithacan articles and some stats from my high school quiz bowl team. Come on google! At least make me seem cool!

The worst is google stalking someone and later finding out they have a way to track the keywords that lead to their page. Oops.

Multiple run-ins with the law? You have to get to page 3 before you find my favorite of your apparently "multiple" run-ins - the one which made Jon Stewart to call you a douche. (Chris O'Leary reported that bit of info to me and I promptly TiVo'd the Daily Show that night. And told all my friends.) :-P

Mike said...

Liz - Yeah, it's tough having a common name. Then again, people don't mispronounce "Williams" much, I bet. You should hear how many versions of "Nagel" I get...

Meredith - Ha, I guess I shouldn't have made "run-ins" plural. There's just that one. And being called a "douche" by Jon Stewart once was enough...

Apparently, there's a DVD out there with a whole clip show regarding that unfortunate event. I haven't actually seen it, but one of my "friends" put it together.