Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chinese fashion tips...

Beijing, 24 April - The Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG) debuted the volunteer uniforms to tumultuous approval of Chinese authorities and Hello Kitty fans alike a short time ago.

Volunteers for the 2008 Summer Games, which kick off in less than 100 days, will be required to sport the snazzy threads while at the event venues. This will include members (the low-level ones without any sort of pull or influence) of the Olympic News Service.

The uniforms, which scream both "professionalism" and "Liberace," are comprised of a polyester collared shirt, windbreaker, zip-cargo pants, bucket hat, baseball cap, shoes, water bottle and, yes, the fanny pack members of Eastern European bloc countries mandated should appear at all Olympics. The Germans, however, were defeated in their proposal to include a three pairs of colored crew socks and Birkenstock sandals in the uniform.

All articles of clothing will sport the five-ring Olympic symbol along with the Beijing 2008 logo. Additionally, the tops and hats will also be decorated in a power-blue, paisley wave motif which will help distinguish the volunteers from athletes, spectators and anyone with fashion sense.

BOCOG plans to limit the honeybee population in Beijing by moving thousands of hives south to Shanghai. In doing so, they hope to eliminate random bee stings by insects confused by the vibrant, florescent, floral prints of the uniforms.

For pictures of smiling Chinese runway models sporting the gear, click here.

5 comments:

Liz Williams said...

I hope I somehow get to see you on TV wearing a fanny pack.

Anonymous said...

little known triva -- Mike is actually only three fanny packs away from having the Guinness Book of World Records largest fanny pack collection...one down, two to go Mike!

Amy Zeleznock said...

Reasons why I'm happy not to be in Beijing...

1. the turmoil over the games itself
2. The uniforms aren't as cool as NBC apparel
3. THE FANNY PACK...couldn't they figure out a classy trendy man purse instead?

Sonja said...

AHHH! The bucket hat and fanny pack are too silly!

Still, you should have opted for modeling the uniforms instead of taking the whole trip. Look at how happy you could have been!

(You're going to have a blast, love!)
:D

Mike said...

Liz - my first order of business after I receive the getup is to post a YouTube video of me prancing around my apartment...

Kevin - Once I knock down that record, I shall try to grow the longest mullet this planet has ever seen.

Amy - I am stoked for the fanny pack. It's like a cultural experience. I get to use a man bag every day... how often do you get to use a fanny pack? Never!

Sonja - Hello via comment, my love... I'll still be happy. Especially since the outfit seems to be underwear-optional.

Dave - (who commented via facebook) - I'll totally try to swipe an extra jacket for you, my man.