Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Time to Decompress...

I drive a lot. My commute is 75 miles in each direction. And though I only work in the office three days a week, I still spend at least 500 miles on the road each week. Add in the other miscellaneous driving I do, and I'm putting well over 2,000 miles on my car each month.

(For reference, I snapped this picture on January 2nd and I've gone over 3,000 miles since. This means I get a lot of oil changes.)

Typically, I spend about 100 minutes driving into work and 80 going home, since there's less traffic when I leave the office.

That's a lot of driving for anyone, but I have gotten used to the commute. I don't love it, but I can't say that I actually hate it, either. That drive home, spacing out as I maintain a certain cruise control speed in the fast-lane is peaceful alone time—the majority spent listening to the music, NPR, or audiobooks—does wonders for my post-work psyche.

Now, I don't have a stressful job. Sure, some days are busier than others, but it's nothing like a fast-paced, Crackberry, newsroom environments from my past gigs. Heck, even working at the travel agency caused more stress, since I was in charge of everything. Mostly, I do my thing, do it well, and leave it behind at the end of the day.

But for me, I still need that time in the car to decompress from my day. I use it as a transition from "work mode."

What's work mode? Work mode is how I get when I'm on task. It can happen in the office, at my real job, or when I'm banging away at the keyboard at home. As a guy, I can only handle one task at a time. I'll focus on that one thing and ignore everything else. This makes me a delightful conversationalist while I'm in work mode.

"Mmhmm... yeah, whatever."

"Uh, what'd you say?"

"(Dead silence)"

Yeah, I'm not that much fun in work mode.

The problem with work mode is that it takes me some time to work my way out of it. I can't just instantly leave the office and feel my brain turn to back toward my real life. Nope, it requires some coaching, some telling myself not to think about work stuff, and a lot of zen-like emptying of the mind. Not that I'm meditating while I'm driving... More likely, I'm just not thinking of anything.

And that part's great. I'm much more social and relaxed when I get home.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. I was just thinking about it the other day and I wondered if anyone else has a "work mode?" Or is that purely an annoying Nagel trait?

(Yes, as you can see from my odometer, my Toyota Camry is the definition of a high-mileage car.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Mike, i have work mode too. However, I usually only manage to turn it off on the occasional weekend or sometimes in the middle part of a particularly relaxing vacation. Kudos for being able to do it in 60-90 minutes. I'm impressed.

Julie said...

I definitely have a work mode -- especially when I'm in the middle of writing something. Lizzi always asks me why I even bother to answer the phone when I'm writing because I usually sound annoyed and/or distracted. And I always, always need time to decompress at the end of each day. I kind of like my commute for that same reason.

This may just be a female thing, but do you have a work voice when you answer the phone? Apparently, I do. It's softer and much more "professional" sounding, and my friends like to make fun of it.

Mike said...

Matt - you are way more invested in your job, though, than I am in mine. So that's totally understandable.

Julie - I do have a work voice, too. I don't know if it's softer, but I think it's devoid of emotion. Plus, I'm always distracted because I'm probably reading email or focusing on the task at hand, rather than the call.

Marsandle said...

hahahha! I'm cracking up. Randle hates me in work mode. He does't get it...but yeah. I sooo get stuck in it and am in it now....gotta go!!