Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Traveling to Italy

I love travel. I love seeing new places, trying new foods and a new language on for size, and finding out how the rest of the world works (and how much we really all do have in common).

I also love all the day to day tasks that go along with travel, too. Packing lists, passports, tickets, itineraries, and planning, planning, planning—it's all good.

Life just seems a lot better when you have a trip to look forward to. I figured that out the first big international trip I took, a mini-grand tour of Europe. When I got back, I promised myself that I'd take another international trip every year. So far, I've been able to keep to that promise. Every year (except 2007, sadly), I went overseas again. It's been a tremendous ride and I've been blessed to take it.

So, when Sonja and I started planning our wedding, we also started planning our honeymoon. We didn't know where we wanted to go at first. We just had some grand plans and schemes, but now it's all coming together and I'm getting a whole load of pre-trip anticipation. We're heading on a two-week honeymoon to Italy.

We booked plane tickets way back in December, before Christmas even, so we could lock in the price (and fly Swiss Air, so I could collect some Star Alliance points to pay for our next trip), then we booked some hotels and travel insurance. Now, we're just playing the waiting game. But, I figured I'd fill you in on the details so you can get pumped up along with us (or offer some travel tips).

We're going to take it slow. It's our honeymoon, right? We want to enjoy it, so we won't be rushing from sight to sight in a half-dozen different cities. We narrowed it down to four nights in Rome, five in Florence, then three in Venice. For the first two cities, we used Bed & Breakfast Italia (thanks to Lonely Planet's suggestion) and then, in Venice, we booked the second-most-romantic hotel in Europe (according to TripAdvisor, anyway).

The plan is to do all the tourist, historical-type visits in Rome, then move on to Florence for a couple days of the same. But can you be in Tuscany and miss the vineyards? No way... we'll have to do a bike tour of some sort. And we're probably going to do at least a day trip to Cinque Terre to hike along the coast and soak in the beauty of the Mediterranean. Finally, we finish off in Venice where the only plan is to get lost in the canals (which hopefully won't be smelly).

Oh sure, there will be more planning the closer we get. The excitement's mounting every day, though. There's a big trip on the horizon and, like I said, that makes everything better about life. Having a tough day at the office? So what, you're taking a trip. Car troubles? Big deal, you're renting a bike overseas. No money? They take credit cards internationally.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm rubbing it in or anything. I'm just totally pumped for the trip.

6 comments:

Danie D said...

File me under "stoked," not jealous. Hmmm. As far as tips, bring an extra memory card for your camera, unless you're going to upload them to a laptop daily. But then you need a laptop lock for your hotels. And maybe you don't want to be connected during your honeymoon.

Eat goat cheese. Have dinner in a busy square where you can people watch for hours.

Carry a bottle opener, in case you decide to get a bottle of wine and sit on the Spanish Steps.

I love Italy. Have a lovely time.

Mike said...

Yeah, we do get free wifi at all our hotels, but Sonja has made me promise to leave the iPhone and the laptop behind. I do have a 2-gig memory card, so I should be good...

I love the busy squares, listening to the patter of feet and chatter of locals while you sip wine and eat the best meal you've ever had (which will only be topped by the next night's dinner, and the next one after that...)

Marsandle said...

ohhh i went to italy once. warning - when you go to venice they offer tours of the famous glass blowing museum. mama bear got conned into shelling out some big bucks for some glass...very pretty, but pricey.

Your trip sounds AMAZING!! You guys will have a blast!!!

Amy Zeleznock said...

So glad to see you're blogging again! It's good to know you're alive. It's always great planning a trip no matter what it is. I started planning my Disney trip with boyfriend and its awesome. It needs to come here!

But enjoy Italy!!!

Beth said...

I did two weeks in those cities (plus Sorrento) last summer. Florence was my favorite by far. We used Rick Steve's for restaurant tips and found his book very helpful.

Check out Burrano when you're in Venice. The boat ride alone is worth it. Also, you can book day trips in Florence that take you cheaply into Tuscany. For bike trips/tours or just to visit a nice shop try http://www.florencebybike.it/

We had the most fun when we ventured off the beaten track. We saw "the" sites, but those attracted massive crowds and it was very hot, so you'll want to find places to escape and relax. The Borghese Gardens in Rome were a great place to picnic/relax.

I could talk about my trip all day, so drop a line if you'd like more recommendations. Have fun!

Mike said...

I cannot wait! I've done Florence and Rome, but it'll be the first time in Venice for me and the first time overseas for Sonja... we're going to have a blast.

Marsandle - I always buy something decorative and handmade for the house, so maybe I'll get conned to buy a bong, too - just like your mom!

Amy - Good to hear things are going well with the b/f - Disney rocks. Say hi to Mickey for me...

Beth - definitely were planning on a bike tour and I'll check out that company.