Friday, June 13, 2008

That's right, I'm packing...

Editors' note: I'm writing as a featured blogger for STATravlers.com - which is a social networking site dedicated exclusively to travelers. The site recently celebrated its first year anniversary and has been quite successful, so it's an honor for me to be a part of it.

During the course of my time at the Olympics, I'll be posting blogs on their site. I'll include links here, too, though so you can click through to the travel posts.

*****

I’m getting ready to leave on my next adventure. In ten days, I’ll be boarding a plane for trip halfway around the globe. Behind me, I’m leaving an apartment, bills, job obligations and (most importantly) a fiancee, friends and family and setting out for a 2 1/2 month long journey through Japan and China.

There are a ton of preparations for the trip. I need to make sure my banks know I’m going, bills have to be paid in advance, my car has to find another home for a while and someone has to water my plants (not that I do that enough, anyway, but it’d be good to have them not be entirely brown when I get back). This part of the trip sucks - it’s no fun thinking about logistics and budgets. The fun part is flipping through travel guides and reading trip blogs and finding the cool, out-of-the way places to visit or a funky hostel to sleep in.

The one tedious part of trip prep I actually enjoy is packing. I love pulling out my stuff, laying it all out and fitting it inside of my luggage. There’s a routine to it that starts to get my blood flowing as anticipation of travel ramps up. Plus, I always play The Beatles’ Come Together album. I don’t remember where that tradition started, but every time I hear it, it makes me think about heading out on the open road or through the nearest check-in gate.

While with each trip, my packing list changes, there are always a few standbys you’ll find in my bags... (follow the link HERE for the rest of the article)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! That reminded me I needed to read my big European trip journal from 2002!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike!!

Thanks for the comment on my posting...I'll work on my clothes in the next couple of days and will be sure to pack some nice things. I like the packing too...which is odd because most people dread it.

Can you add to your feedburner the option to have your posts delivered via email?? I discovered that option yesterday and really like it.

I checked out your sta blog and advice - very cool and very useful!!

Hope to see you tomorrow for the cookout!

Happy preparations!

Helen

Mike said...

Kevin - we'll have to visit some Turkish hotspots in the fall in NYC.

Helen - I saw you added that to your blog. I have the regular feedburner added to my site, so if you have google reader or any other "reader" type program, it'll pop up there. I'll figure out the email thing and pop it on there... See you soon!