Thursday, August 23, 2007

Digital mountaintops...

So, I was reading the New York Times today...

Isn't that such a pretentious statement? Well, I guess it could be. I'm not one of those people who actively try to find reasons to say, "Well, I was reading in the Times..." or "Did you this this morning's Times?" or "It's a good thing I had the Business Day section, 'cause we ran out of toilet paper!" But sometimes it's unavoidable.

The Times is great - all the world's news packed into one, handy package that easily fits into your messenger bag and provides a concise analysis of everything you need to know to start your day. I love it. In fact, the only thing that I don't like about biking around the city (have I mentioned yet that I bike? I bike.) is that I can't sit on the train and read my paper in the morning. It means that I have to get up a little earlier in the morning to read it, but it's worth the time.

You will never, by the way, here me say, "I was reading in The New Yorker the other day..." because that is way too pretentious. I'm under the opinion that no one actually reads the New Yorker, they just carry around copies and casually leave them on tables in coffee shops, hoping it makes them look worldly and wealthy and pick up chicks. It's a fashion accessory for nerds the way that popped collars and too much cologne are for frat guys.

But that's not the point! This is a travel post! Shut up, Nagel!

The point is... the Times alerted me to a great new website. The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) has always put out the best books for people looking to hike on the east coast, in particular, for the White Mountains in New Hampshire. But until now, their maps, trail information and directions have only been available in a handy, pocket-sized, annual print edition.

Well, my internet friends, the day you've been waiting for has come... the AMC is moving its trail map database online into a searchable, interactive website. Just check out www.wmgonline.org. It does require that you sign-up, but it's free to use and view the basic maps.

Now, all you need to carry is granola, some water and bug repellent.

Happy trails, to you my friend. Happy trails, indeed.

No comments: